Tuesday, August 9, 2011

You Gotta Have a Gimmick

The last time I ventured onto the LA Club Scene was back in the 90s when I worked as a freelance club reviewer for Music Connection Magazine, and before that, in the 80s performing in bands.  And now, in 2011, I'm  back on the horse, only now I'm photographing bands. What a long strange trip it's been. When I left the club scene in the 80s, I was fortunate to have played historical clubs like Madame Wongs, FM Station, The Troubadour, Club 88, and a host of other small venues; most of them no longer standing. This was a time before  Internet. Social media was word-of-mouth, flyers and ads in LA Weekly. People flocked to clubs to hang and see a new band. A&R label reps were out every night scouting for the next huge sensation. Then things started to change.  With the advancement of technology entertainment was now at your fingertips. VCRs ,DVDs and computers, brought the world into our living rooms. The club scene, that once opened the doors for bands like The Motels, Motley Crue, Poison, and Ratt, now languished. So here I am once again, hanging out in clubs, and shooting bands, and seeing what has changed in the 21st century.

8mm performs at Cheetah Club -Bikini bar and venue





No comments: